Thursday, May 20, 2010

On ascots, oil spills and wealth disparities

Today I taped an interview with Georgetown professor Dr. Michel Eric Dyson for his newly-relaunched radio show. It'll air Tuesday but here's a preview:

Dyson asked me about the long-term economic impact of the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and I said I thought we're already seeing it in the form of higher gas prices and that it would continue. A few weeks ago I was buying gas for $2.50 or less and a few days ago i filled up at $2.81 a gallon for regular. I also said I was skeptical of a report from Moody's Economy.com that said that the spill won't have a long-term impact on the US economy because the Gulf states only account for 1 percent of GDP.

We also talked wealth disparities in the wake of a new report that shows that the black-white wealth gap in the US has actually quadrupled since 1984. It's vexing because this is actually the period over which many thought that the black middle class was permanently expanding as the result of economic and employment gains in the decades following the civil rights movement. I've actually pitched a commentary to TheRoot.com about my take on those numbers so you'll read about that over there soon if they accept it. If not, I'll write it here no later than Monday.

And speaking of TheRoot, today they ran a colorful piece by yours truly called "We Had our Ascots Handed to Us." Its my take on black men's style cues and what we lost when Daily Show host Jon Stewart discovered that Roland Martin has interesting taste. Check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments: