Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What's worse: cheating or hiding debt?

I'm stealing this question from CNN's Jack Cafferty who asked it on the air the other day.

My own opinion: neither is worse than the other. Both things are bound to ruin a relationship. Most marriages end over two things: infidelity or money, and it's easy to see why. A person who's dishonest about money is exhibiting the same character traits as someone who's not honest about what they're doing sexually. It shows a lack of trust, a lack of faith in the relationship and that that person doesn't have a level of commitment to the relationship that would allow it to work.

What's your take? Do you think your relationship has a better chance to survive cheating or your partner lying about how much debt they have?

2 comments:

Tammy said...

They both suck! But, if I had to choose my poison, it would be the debt-hiding. In my mind, I could formulate a plan to fix that situation.. the sexual one, I wouldn't know where to start. They violate a different kind of trust..

laughing808 said...

I agree both are bad, but for me I'd be more willing to deal with and overcome the debt. Cheating on the other hand is on another level, particular when married.