Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Frugal Valentine's Day Tip #2: Strawberry Letters


One of the best gifts I ever got was a card. It was hidden under my pillow early in the morning, with the bed made over top of it so that I wouldn't find it until I got home from work and was ready to go back to sleep. I can't remember what it said word for word, but I remember the best parts: "I've never been more proud of you...I'll always love you."

Of course, the card outlasted the relationship, but it was enough to keep me smiling until I fell asleep that night and that I sat it on my desk the following day so I could read it if I was having a rough day.

Words go a long way -- even further when they're supported by action -- and they don't cost anything but the sentiment behind them.

When's the last time you wrote a letter? Not an email or extra long instant messaging conversation, but an actual, pen-to-paper letter? If it's been a while, go out today and spend a couple bucks on some decent paper, grab a pen that writes smoothly and some colorful envelopes. Spend 15 minutes a day for the next few days hand-writing your thoughts to the boo, the misses, the beloved or whatever you call your Valentine. Then seal the letters and hide them in fairly obvious places come Valentine's Day.

It'll be a worthwhile surprise that will outlast flowers, candy or an expensive dinner, and it'll help you keep more of your hard-earned cash in your pocket.

Image: Simon Howden/freedigitalphotos.net

No comments: